Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Module 11 Video Review

Why I chose these videos:
The Mystical North: Spanish Art from the 19th Century to the Present:
   -The title of the video immediately got my attention: The Mystical North. A great start to a video title. I also liked that it was about the history of Spanish art until now. It is very interesting to see art change over time.

Dada and Surrealism:
   - Unlike the other videos, this title confused me so I was intrigued to learn more about these topics. I have never heard of Dada, or for what I can remember.

Key Concepts:
The Mystical North: Spanish Art from the 19th Century to the Present:
   -The art is for sure different. The first artist this video talked, Goya, about was very dark, described as nightmarish. The paintings had no color, mostly just black. There were very interesting ceilings in the homes though, religious symbols. The sculptures are like something I have never seen before. Very interesting in shape and abstract. Pablo Picasso had very vulgar paintings as a child, kind of disturbing actually. Picasso had many different meanings behind his paintings, some religious themed, some sexual. His work can be interpreted in many different ways. His self portraits were very cool and different though.

Dada and Surrealism:
   - Schwitters art was very different from what I have seen before, he called his art Merz. I see his art as collages. His pictures contained words and real life objects. It seems to be that a lot of the art from this era of art. A lot of the collages taught lessons and had very deep meanings. Some political, historical, opinionated, etc. This art was made out of paper, photographs, and different thin materials. What I found interesting about this art: there were objects that would imitate humans. It is hard to describe with words. objects were not portrayed like they are in real life. Joan Miro had some very interesting paintings. Lots of detail and color. The details of real pictures were altered in surrealism. It was so cool to learn about.

Videos in relation to the reading:
The Mystical North: Spanish Art from the 19th Century to the Present:
   - Like expected, the book had more detail than the video about certain topics. The book had a whole page dedicated to Pablo Picasso that helped deepen my learning about him. I do not know if I was reading the wrong sections but I could not really find much information on Spanish art in the 19th Century until now. There was a lot of detail about America in the 19th century, instead. Very little about Spanish art

Dada and Surrealism:
   - The book had different examples of surrealism than the video, which is a good thing in my opinion. The more examples the better. The book also contained examples of Joan Miro and his really cool paintings. It was cool to see that the painting of Carnival of the Harlequin by Miro is in the Albright Know Art Gallery in Buffalo, NY. It's always cool to see things from your hometown.

Opinion on the films:
The Mystical North: Spanish Art from the 19th Century to the Present:
   -My First impression was not the greatest. I am not the biggest fan of the videos that have people walking around visiting ting sites and talking about history. I like the real examples of art and building but with just a narrator. The background noise was very loud and distracting. This video was not very heavy in facts, mostly just positive opinions of the art showed.

Dada and Surrealism:
   - I immediately liked this video because it was narrated and easy to understand. This video had a ton of examples and was easy to learn from. Especially because I did not know much about these topics. This video taught me a lot, kept me interested throughout the whole thing. The different examples of surrealism helped deepen my understanding. In my opinion and own words: surrealism is like art on drugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment